When dealing with the effects of lipedema, your body can also feel the repercussions of direct impact to your lymphatic and venous circulation system. Both systems together help the body create lymph. Venous disorders like venous hypertension and venous reflux impact these combined systems to create excess lymph production. Having an overwhelmed production can lead to overloaded lymphatic circulation. Both the venous system and our lymphatic circulation utilize passive contractions to clear this fluid from our limbs.
Our lymphatic system has several key jobs to help our body function properly. First, it drains our body cells of any debris that needs to be removed. It also drains any excess fluid our tissues have built up. The lymphatic system also transports any clean fluid back to our blood that needs it. With such an important job for our body, it is critical to understand how lipedema can cause additional lymphatic issues. Individuals with lipedema will notice that their lymph fluids are not properly draining, causing buildup in the legs. This fluid building can be painful and cause additional swelling.
Our venous system is made up of deep venous pumps and veins located throughout the legs. These pumps when properly working pump 90% of the blood from the legs. The other 10% of the blood is pumped through a superficial venous system. While this system is typically less important than the deep venous pumps, they are at more risk when lipedema is involved. Blood flow may reverse and flow in the opposite direction; healthy vein valves ensure our blood is flowing in one direction for a healthy system.
Vein insufficiency and other venous issues can cause your lipedema symptoms to worsen over time. Significant vein insufficiency can cause venous issues that are not superficial such as ulcers. If you are looking into surgical treatment for lipedema, you will need your vein issues to be treated first. Vein issues can cause problems during surgery if blood flow is not working correctly. It can also lead to poor wound healing after the procedure has been completed. The increased risk of blood clots is one factor any surgeon will want to avoid.
Prepare for your lipedema treatment by first seeking out a vein evaluation. A healthy venous system is needed to successfully complete any procedures associated with lipedema. Contact us now!